Ten things to do this weekend.
TEN!!
Ten is such a great number.
I know, I'm SO pushy.
- Go to your instrument.
- Close the door.
- Warm up with a few minutes of free play.
- Try a few smooth scales or patterns.
- Try part of the piece you were given - maybe 2 or 3 lines.
- Slow it down and try it again.
- Notice where your bad bits are. YES, those bits that you keep missing out, that sound like note graffiti, the bits that make the cat's hair stand on end. You know the bits.
- Stop getting grumpy.
- Try them even slower, maybe 5 times each.
- STOP playing the piece in the right order every time.
STOP PLAYING THE PIECE IN THE RIGHT ORDER EVERY TIME.
WHY?
Because that is called playing.
It's not going to solve the nightmare in bar 18.
It might also drive your family/housemate/pets to leave home.
Trust me.
Hey! We've begun.
See you tomorrow? Hz
I can do this; studio door closed, CD player on, paint brush in hand, warm ups, practice playing on the paper....Thanks Annie!
ReplyDeleteTa daaa! Thanks Leslie, for the first comment.
ReplyDeleteSo easy to assume this is another of Annie's blogs! She holds forth elswhere at someplace inky. I forget the name of it. I don't let her cramp my style here, don't let her inky fingers anywhere near this piano. No way! Anyway Leslie, what a great vibe coming from your studio! Art, music, writing, inventing - it all comes down to the same thing, I think - let's get cracking with the things we like doing best.