Friday, 13 November 2009

Bad notes day

It happens to us all once in a while, even to the best players.
The dreaded and dreadful BAD NOTES DAY.
This is the day when your instrument seems to wince in protest.
When you can't play more than three right notes in bar one.
When your fingers have forgotten all they knew.
When your is dog desperate to escape out of the back door.
Before you give your instrument away, try this -
Slow down and try play just one small thing correctly.
One scale, one exercise, one short piece.
Make one thing as beautiful as you can.

Remember - it's ok to make a racket once in a while,
just not every day! Hz

2 comments:

  1. oh yes ,I know this well..."When your fingers have forgotten all they knew."...

    ... happened not long ago... when someone caught me off guard, it was late, I was dead tired, and I hadn't ever played that particular piece ever... when an acquaintance verily ordered me to play this song.. I protested but to no avail.. it came out sounding as if I was tone deaf, didn't know one key from the other, was blind and had never looked at this instrument before in my life... they definitely were not impressed...

    it worried me for a while but then I just told myself to "let it go" ... it is much better when we don't feel stressed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gwen. Sounds like they gave you an unannounced trial!

    Maybe you can collect a few performance pieces that you like to play into a little pile so that someone could choose one from YOUR selection next time? Just play these once in a while at the end of your practise sessions to keep them ticking over.

    Music is meant to be a lovely thing to share. And I think that bad notes days just test out our commitment a bit.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments.
Remember you can also leave a question for me.
The best ones will feature in future posts.
Love, Hz